Week #11 Still Fall in Great Falls


It's still fall here in Great Falls! It didn't snow once this week (what a blessing since we were on bikes!) and it was beautiful almost every day! We are starting to get those Great Falls wind I've been hearing so much about, it makes riding bikes in a skirt very interesting...but it is awesome and Sister Nez and I make the most of it. I never thought I would actually say this, but I love riding bikes!! It is nice to get the fresh air and exercise and I love waving at random people! Most of the time they look at me with a puzzled face as I do my best to stay balanced with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand waving at them, but I haven't fallen over yet, so I guess you could say I have pretty great balancing skills (knock on wood...just kidding)!

This week was interesting because we had a lot of things going on and our schedule was all over the place! We had an AMAZING stake conference this past weekend, I want to tell you all about it because it was so great!  We learned a lot about being Self Reliant and keeping the Sabbath Day holy. We talked a lot about temple work, missionary work and family history work! A message that really impacted me was the message shared by President Wadsworth. He spoke about putting people in boxes, how we as members assume people won't want to hear about the gospel based on judgments we make regarding what they might look like or what we know about them or their past. He talked about the importance of NOT putting people into these mental boxes because we never know who the Lord is preparing to receive the gospel. I know that I sometimes mentally put people into boxes, even as a missionary! It is something I am working on!  I know that as we open our mouths and share the gospel with ALL of Heavenly Father's children, we will be able to find those who He has prepared.
During the Sunday session of stake conference there were multiple analogies shared about Hawaii!  It was awesome! Our stake president shared an experience he and his wife had while biking down Haleakalā a few years ago. They had been trained at the top on how to correctly ride a bike down the terrain they would be facing. President Pfile didn't pay attention because he thought it was irrelevant since he already knew how to ride a bike, whereas his wife payed close attention. Once they started down the trail he quickly found out WHY they had received so much training, he had to stop and the tour guide had to retrain him on how to ride a bike. He related it to the small and simple things of the gospel and listening to the counsel of our leaders. Often times we think "we already know how to ride a bike" or in other words we have heard it all before, but our leaders and Prophet know what Heavenly Father wants us to know at this time which is why it is so important that we heed their counsel.

The temple president shared an experience where he was on the North Shore during the winter months (aka the waves were huge) and he decided to go into the water anyways because it looked fun. Evidently he almost drowned because he got caught in a current and a local guy had to tow him back into shore. He talked about the importance of following warning signs; it was a great message!


Other Highlights of the Week:
1. Last preparation day I rocked it at podball! I almost won but then
one of the elders beamed the ball at me and I got out and it was the
worst... But hey I would say I got an A for effort😉
2. We carved pumpkins!! And of course, being a missionary, Sister Nez and I carved "Mormon.org" into our pumpkin!

3. We went to a trunk or treat! I got like zero candy because I wasn't dressed up, but it's okay!
4. We volunteered at the football game again! It is so weird being in settings like that because it reminds me of my pre-mission life and that seems like such a long time ago (even though it isn't, haha) but it was nice to be there with my fellow sister missionaries!

As you can probably tell, I love being a missionary.  Last night I had the opportunity to bear my testimony on why I am on a mission. I think it all comes down to 3 things; my love for my Savior, my love for the gospel, and my love for my family. I love being a missionary, it is so hard but so awesome! I love the 'trying' days because I learn SO much, I can feel the love our Heavenly Father has for each of His children. The gospel is SO TRUE and it blesses everyone who will accept it and live by the Savior's teachings!
 

I love you all so much and I hope you have an awesome week!!

Love, Sister Wong

P.S. This week I am ponderizing 2 Nephi 30:8
"And it shall come to pass that the Lord God shall commence his work among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, to bring about the restoration of his people upon the earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.