Week #5 Missionary Life

Well, my week has been great! It has just flown by, first let me tell you about caving last preparation day! It was so much fun, we drove probably about 45 minutes to the mountains and it was so beautiful! We hiked for about 20 minutes to the opening of the cave and then climbed down. There were these cool crystals everywhere and it was pitch black so we all had flashlights. Since I had never been caving before they let me wear one of the helmets.  It's a good thing they did because I hit my head at least a dozen times haha, but it didn't hurt because I had the hard hat on!! It was super cool, I honestly had zero sense of direction and was very frightened that I would be attacked by bats.  I didn't see a single one, though, so I was fine:) We got lost a bunch of times and it took a lot longer than we thought, so we actually didn't make it to our final destination, which was this big opening in the cave or something, but we did have a great time!

When we all hiked back down the trail to our cars, we were sort of in two groups and I was in the first group. When we got back to the cars we waited for about 5 minutes, then we saw one companionship of elders running pretty fast down the trail towards the cars, our two tour guides followed slowly behind them. We asked the Elders what had happened and they said they had seen a cougar and it had been following us down the mountain. A COUGAR. So everyone was pretty spooked, especially since apparently cougars are only out during the day if they are really hungry...Well, we all got into the cars and got out of there as quickly as possible.  I thought being in Montana would help me develop a love for the great outdoors and such, but I'm pretty determined that I will never be going back into the mountains haha. But it was still crazy fun and an awesome experience! :)
 
 
We have such a great Ward! The Portage Ward has probably 150 active members, and it is really fun.  This past Sunday I gave the closing prayer in sacrament which was fun and we sang in the Overlook Ward sacrament meeting with two other companionships!! It was so fun. The Overlook Ward is the other ward that meets in our building, and there are two sets of sisters from our district in that Ward! We sang "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" and it went really well! I love being a missionary because we always get asked to do random things like that and it is so fun!

I had a really neat experience this past week. We had a lesson with a less active family who is just so amazing. Both she and her husband are raising their granddaughter and want to start coming back to church. As we listened to their experiences and trials, an
overwhelming sense of love came over me. I was able to testify of God's love for them and testify that we all fall short, Heavenly Father doesn't expect us to be perfect, He just expects us to try our best. I know that everything I did in that lesson came from the spirit, none of those thoughts that I had were my own. As they shared experiences with me I was able to think of exact scripture for them and I was able to testify of things with complete confidence, it was amazing. It was an experience I will never forget. On Sunday they walked into church with their granddaughter and my heart was filled with so much joy I can't even express it. The husband hadn't been to church in many months and it was so amazing to see how the spirit really can change our hearts and help us heal. I literally couldn't stop smiling, I probably looked ridiculous but I don't even care, I was just SO HAPPY!  They are working towards the goal of getting back to the temple, I know they can reach that goal as they continue to put their faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I am so excited to see them continue to progress in the gospel!
 
 
We have seen many miracles this week and I feel truly blessed. We had an awesome Zone training this past week which focused on the importance of planning, member missionary work, the priesthood, and setting goals. It was great and my testimony was definitely strengthened. We have a really awesome zone, our district did the special musical number,we sang Come unto Christ (throwback to young women's haha). It was so much fun and I loved it! This week we have a district meeting and I am giving a discussion on bearing testimony and asking direct questions, so I'm pretty excited about that!!

I am also SO excited for the Women's General Conference Meeting this Saturday!! Our Ward is doing a Dutch oven cook off earlier on
Saturday and we are all going to eat together and then watch women's conference, it should be great :) It is combined with the Overlook Ward and the sister missionaries get to be the judges of the cook off! I think the categories are like Best BBQ Main dish, best BBQ Side dish, best BBQ Dessert? And stuff like that, so it will be so much fun! Hopefully some of our investigators come, because it will be a great missionary event!

Anyways, things are going great and I love it! I am still praying to develop a love for tracting, but I will keep pressing forward with faith! We know the Lord is on our side and we know he will lead us to those who are prepared to receive the gospel, and we will be planting lots of seeds along the way:) I love being a missionary, it is hard work but it is awesome!

I love you all so much, you are such great examples to me and I know the gospel has blessed our family more than I can say. That is why it is worth it to get 99 doors slammed in my face if 1 person will accept the gospel. I know that the gospel brings true peace and happiness to those who accept it and live it. The Savior love each of us, He is so mindful of our needs and He knows us individually. I am so grateful to have the knowledge of the gospel, I am so grateful for my testimony and that I am able to strengthen it every day as I share it with others. 


Love, Sister Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.